Saturday, August 23, 2008

Paleo Diet - Day 294

Yet another stable week. My weight remains at 162 lbs, my BMI (Body Mass Index) remains at 22.0, and my body fat percentage remains at 12.7%. Disgustingly normal again. ;)

Ditto on the blood sugar, which was 96 ml/dcl this morning. Up a little from last week, but still normal, and last week's reading was a bit lower than usual, too.

As for my blood pressure, this morning it was at a normal 126/76. I was at my doctor's for lab work and a check up on Thursday - the first since just before beginning the paleo diet, and also the first since being told of my type 2 diabetes (back at the end of October, 2007). My blood pressure tested normal and the physician's assistant who checked me out said I looked good. I'd have asked her for a date on the basis of that, but she mentioned something about a husband, so...er, anyway, I didn't get to talk to the doctor, which I was kind of looking forward to doing, since I wanted to tell him what I thought of his October diagnosis - the one during which he said "diabetes is an incurable disease" and that I'd have it for the rest of my life (said while writing out a prescription for Metformin, which I never used).

The physician's assistant (who looks like she's about 18 to 24) asked me what the paleo diet is, so I gave her the facts and wasn't surprised to see, by her reaction, that it was complete news to her that human beings existed on a diet devoid of grains and dairy for most of the human species' time on earth. The 10,000 years during which we've been poisoning ourselves with foods we're not genetically adapted to eat has been a mere blink of the eye in terms of the 2.5 million years our species has existed and evolved in. But, like most people, everything I said to her probably went in one ear and out the other and didn't find a place to lodge in between, since that's taken up with important things like Britney Spears, Madonna and who's leaving the "island" on Survivor.