Saturday, April 5, 2008

Paleo Diet - Day 154

Well, my boss decided to show us all what a "macho" tough guy he is, and showed up for work this week sick. So now me, and about six coworkers are having a lousy sick weekend. Gee, thanks, asshole.

Interestingly enough, though, my symptoms have been held in check by judicious use of dried Japones peppers, which seem to relieve the upper respiratory symptoms much better than any medication would, and without the harmful side effects. Besides, they taste great! This Saturday morning I've awakened with a slightly congested sore throat, but after having gargled and brushed my teeth with baking soda, as usual, as well as having chewed a Japones, I'm rapidly beginning to feel better. The peppers don't do much about the fever, aches and run-down feeling, however, which I'll just have to let run their course, though they have been rather mild, so far, so the peppers may have at least a moderating effect on those cold and flu symptoms. I don't feel nearly as bad as I did the last time I had a virus. So, there's a tip for you. Try chewing dried peppers instead cough drops, etc. next time you're sick. Your body will thank you.

Moving along to the the usual stats, it looks like I've gained back a pound this week, which is understandable in light of my being sick since yesterday and not getting any exercise then or today, so far. So, I've obviously taken in more calories than I've burned off for the week. No problem, though. Next week, I'll lose it again when I get back into my exercise routine. Of course, this changes my BMI (Body Mass Index) slightly, to 23.6, which is still "normal" weight.

This morning, despite my usual Friday night snacking, my blood sugar is at a respectable 96, so nothing to complain about, there. Perfectly normal.

On the blood pressure, however, it's gone up since last week's reading, to 129/88, which is slightly "high," by most standards, though some reading on this subject has me wondering about whether those "standards" are really all that "standard." It seems that what is considered "normal" and "high" blood pressure these days tends to vary a bit, depending upon whose standards you're applying. In come cases, my reading this morning would be cause for alarm, while in others, it's no big deal. Consider, also, that it's what my resting blood pressure was a few minutes ago. That will fluctuate throughout the day and even as I sleep, so what it was this morning just happens to be what it was at that moment. It could very well go down, an hour from now, to a "normal" level. In fact, I suspect that may be the case, as my sleep apnea has the effect of raising my blood pressure during sleep. So, after I'm awake and up doing things for a while, that should settle down. I can usually tell if my blood pressure is higher if my ears are ringing when I wake up in the morning, and today was no exception. After I've been up for a while and had something to eat, my blood pressure will probably return to "normal" - whatever that is.