Saturday, April 19, 2008

Paleo Diet - Day 168

Good news on the weight loss front this morning - i.e., I didn't have any, which is what I'm after, now that I'm down to 169 lbs. So, that's at least stabilized and my new goal has now become gaining some muscle. Of course, that will increase my weight a bit, but so what? The objective is correct bodymass composition, not being skinny.

To that end, I've been consulting some bodybuilding websites, as I believe that's where I'll find the best information on gaining muscle. So far, what I've learned from this is that I need to increase my protein intake, just as I was saying last week, and, to that end, I'm now eating more meat and I've stepped up my egg intake, as well, since eggs are your second best source of protein, after meat. In addition, of course, I've increased the intensity of my Total Gym workouts. While I have not seen noticeable results, yet, as far as muscle size goes, I have noticed that my muscle tone is improving, particularly in my arms. It's a start. Meanwhile, my BMI (Body Mass Index) remains a steady "normal weight," at 22.9.

Now, a word on the bodybuilding sources. I'm not looking toward bodybuilding, per se; i.e., I don't have in mind becoming a bodybuilder and looking like Arnold Schwarzenegger. No, my objective is simply to put on a few pounds of lean muscle to improve my physique a little, as I've lost a little muscle mass over the last ten years, due to inactivity. That's all. But, in order to do that, I'm consulting bodybuilding sites for information, as I believe bodybuilders to be the best authority - not doctors! - on the subject of muscle gain. Who would know better than someone whose whole life revolves around gaining muscle?

So far, I have found some very useful tips, including something called the Anabolic Diet. You may recognize the word anabolic from "anabolic steroids," but don't worry - I'm not "juicing," nor will I be. The term "anabolic" simply refers to the process of anabolism, which, according to Wikipedia, "...is the set of metabolic pathways that construct molecules from smaller units." In other words, in this case, building up muscle tissue. It's opposite is catabolism, which is the breaking down of muscle tissue. In fact, I'm pursuing this muscle gain program now, in part, to avoid catabolism, as I don't want to lose any muscle tissue. Just working out, alone, should prevent this, though.

Anyway, the Anabolic Diet, depending upon whom you ask (because recommendations vary) is, basically, a lot like the paleolithic diet, except that it doesn't eschew grains and dairy. I'll be pursuing only the inclusion of more meats and fats, though, which are the principle building blocks used in the Anabolic Diet. I will still avoid grains and dairy, as I have been doing. But, I'm taking some tips from Anabolic Diet sources, as far as including more protein and fat in my diet is concerned. The inclusion of more saturated fat is in line with what I've learned already on the subject of fats, and, of course, eating more meat - especially red meat - is a "no-brainer" for building muscle tissue. The addition of more eggs, though, as a protein source was something I hadn't really considered until I got into looking at the Anabolic Diet, which is big on red meat and eggs. In fact, I found one Swedish bodybuilder, Paul Lundkvist, who routinely eats about 2 lbs of ground beef mixed with five eggs. That's another thing: bodybuilders tend to eat a lot of food, which makes sense, because it's your food that is the source of your muscle growth. You are what you eat. So, if you want to have more muscle, eat more meat (which is muscle tissue) and more fat. You'll both gain muscle and lose body fat at the same time. That - plus a lot of weight training - is how these guys achieve their massive muscles. But, as I said, I'm doing this in moderation, since I'm not seeking massive muscles - just slightly larger ones.

Where my blood sugar is concerned, I'm in the normal range this morning, at 112, just one point below the upper threshold of "normal." This is good, as I had a late-night meal of beef, carrots and blackberries, yet remained in the normal range upon waking. It'll go back down some during the day, with increased activity, as it usually does. But, the important thing is, Mr. Diabetes is nowhere to be found; he's toast!

Moving right along, I'm afraid my blood pressure monitor is either about to crap out on me, or it just needs a new battery. This morning's reading was a startling 103/81, which I quickly followed with a second reading, just to make sure. The second reading was an even more startling 131/97! So, something's obviously wrong, there, and it isn't my blood pressure! Time to change out the battery, I think - or get a new monitor, as this one's become completely untrustworthy.