Saturday, December 1, 2007

Further Weight Loss Progress

Since I last reported on my weight loss of 15 lbs in the first 24 days of my Paleo Diet, I have lost an additional 5 lbs, or an average of 0.27 lbs per day over the intervening 18 days since my last weight loss report. So, it looks like my calculation of .6 pounds per day has slowed a little, possibly due to portion sizes in some of my meals. I've been eating frozen black angus burger patties, which are rather large, even after cooking, so I suspect they are the culprit.

Where the beef I'm eating is concerned, I have some positive news, in that, I've started eating Laura's Lean Beef meat products, which are all pasture-fed beef, free of hormones, steroids and antibiotics, as well as not being corn-fed. I highly recommend this brand, which is readily available at all Walmart and Homeland stores. I put a patty of Laura's ground beef into my skillet, the other day, expecting I'd see the usual puddle of clear liquid fat that I've observed when cooking those black angus patties, but, I was pleasantly surprised to see absolutely no sign of any fat emerging from the meat at all, right up until it was done. Not even the surface of the meat had the usual glistening of fat; it still looked dry. But, the meat was moist and tender and thoroughly delicious.

In addition to Laura's Lean Beef, I've also tried Dakota Naturals' Bison Burgers, which are 100% range-fed buffalo meat. Not quite as lean as Laura's Lean Beef, but pretty close. The taste and smell is slightly different from beef, but in a pleasant way. I enjoy both the Bison Burgers and Laura's and will be eating this meat regularly, as I can afford to. It's a bit costlier than regular beef or pork.

Meanwhile, my blood sugar, which has been dropping - though seesawing a little - has more or less stabilized, for the time being, in the low 100s. Still not where I'd like to see it yet, but then, it's only been a little over a month or so since I started and, by Loren Cordain's claims for the Paleo Diet, I should expect it to be at least six months to a year before my blood sugar, as well as my blood pressure, cholesterol and triglycerides are in the normal range consistently. One factor in all this is exercise, of course. I have been walking almost every evening, after work, but I haven't had time for a longer, more strenuous walk, yet. I have the time for this on weekends, and, if the weather's uncooperative, there is always my treadmill. But, the gist of it is that I need more exercise and, when I start getting it, I expect to see both my weight loss and my blood sugar normalization improve.